Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating the furnace room

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:45:35 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

EXT wrote:
Because foam board is flammable, I understand that in all cases, it must
be covered with drywall to make it fire resistant. This certainly would
apply in a furnace room, probably more than any other room.

"sid" wrote in message
Most of the basement is lined with Owens Pink Foam-board. If I use
this foam-board to insulate the wall of the furnace room, can I leave
it exposed ? Do I need to finish the walls ?

Thanks

I keep hearing rumors of a brand with extra-thick foil on the face that
meets fire code as is, as long as you tape the joints with foil tape.
Not sure of the brand (memory is the second thing to go), nor have I
seen it in stores. I have some half-above-grade basement walls where I'd
like to hang a foam curtain from the sill plate, but don't care to
expend the time and money to rock over it. (Especially since I would
have to use the moisture-proof rock.) I have not called the local 'real'
suppliers, but none of the local borgs have it in the racks.

Why are you insulating furnace room? For sound? I'd just use faced
fiberglass bats, and maybe cover with something cheap and easy, like
masonite paneling. If upstairs sound is the problem, insulate ceiling
cavities, and maybe hang the ducts from muffler straps.

(I like the sounds a furnace makes. Reassures me the damn thing is working.)

For sound insulation rock wool is MUCH better than glass - and it is
fire-proof (made from smelter slag)