Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Insulating the furnace room

"ransley" wrote in message

It maybe code to finish. The fumes are what will kill you if it burns.
Something else to consider is your health, foam off gasses as it cures
and it looses some R value as it cures out. Its hard to find research
on but I think it made me sick in an airtight room. If your house is
old loose construction it may not be bad. UFFI foam made alot sick, it
was banned, I would paint and seal all edges at least. The effects of
chemicals offgassing is known from many building products. Foam is not
designed or often used exposed to inside air.

Depends on the foam. Styrene board will not outgas like the urethanes do.
Styrene foam is the same material used in meat trays and coffee cups, except
that they add bromides for fire resistance.