Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Woodpeckers?

Mark & Juanita wrote:
My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them
burrowing holes in the siding. This isn't just a small inconvenience, it
is becoming a major damage issue. Has anybody found something (besides
shooting them -- not wanting to try that method to start) to get rid of
them. My folks found the following: http://www.kabatape.com but it's
mighty spendy. I suppose I could try real electrical fencing to accomplish
the same thing by running the hot and a ground wire in close proximity.

Any experience or ideas would be welcome.

If you patch, they seem to want to go back to the same spot to peck. I
had them go through a gable end of cedar siding. I stapled 1/8"
hardware cloth on the inside and plastered the holes with Rock Hard.
They almost broke their peckers trying to get through that. Also,
someone must have shot one with an air rifle, and the rest left. Tis
was in Washington State.

I had another that woke me up every morning pecking on the top of a
metal tennis court light in Arizona. A Harris Hawk showed up one day,
and the pecker was gone...