Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Re-using ceramic tiles

wrote:
RW wrote:
"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Our kitchen is fully tiled including windowsill etc.

Tiles are Pilkingon, a little under 200mm square and about 6mm thick. They
appear to be glazed gloss ceramic with an indented diamond pattern.

They appear to be obsolete.

No idea how they are fixed.

We want to make some changes to the kitchen. We need a few tiles for areas
that were not previously tiled but do not need at least 30 of the tiles
that are currently in place.

Anyone know if there is any chance of getting tiles off in one piece so
they can be re-used? Photo at:

http://flickr.com/photos/billbaillie/3187212253/
I know someone who needed to do much the same thing.
His method was to hire a "Reciprocating Saw" and slowly cut down behind
individual tiles to clear the adhesive.
Diamond edged blades were what he used.

Mind you.......The tiles being removed in a 10ft square bathroom had actual
9ct gold diamond shape edge inlays and were being replaced because the Arab
lady "Didn't like the gold effect and wanted plain whte" 2 years after their
installation ! Only �120 a tile FFS!
You can work out what the entire room cost fully tiled at 12" x 9" tiles if
you like

I've found that sometimes removing the grout is enough to cause tiles
to come loose - but often not of course.

NT

They always come off easily when you're going to dump them.
IME the adhesive sticks to the tile better than the wall so, if you
don't mind damaging the plaster a bit, they should come off intact.
Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive off.