Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default If governments were *really* serious about saving the planet ...

In message
,
writes
Jethro wrote:
... they'd pass a law mandating a common voltage, and connector for
charging mobile phones and bluetooths (etc). That way instead of
needing 8 chargers I could make do with one. Imagine the resources
you'd save if all phones shipped with no charger ... imagine the plug
sockets and extensions you'd save on.

Damn site easier (& cheaper) than passing ludicrous laws about carbon
trading and trying to get cars more efficient ....

Then in 5 yrs time lots of phones would be running on non-ideal
voltages. And this would get worse as the years passed. And it would
waste more battery cells, and voltage convertors.

Better would be a charger that could charge any common voltage of
battery., Then of course there are varying capacities, charge times
and even battery types, so such a universal charger would be
relatively expensive.

I suspect that once it gets standardised, established and cheap enough,
the induction type chargers be what we have.

Chris French