Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default TV Mounting onto plasterboard walls ?

TonyB wrote:
Hi,
I want to mount a smaller lcd tv which weighs around 12kg onto one of
the internal walls in our house. It is one of those strange internal
walls made up of a sandwich with a sheet of plasterboard on the
outsides and a centre made of a honeycomb structure. The TV mount
unit is basically a thick steel square plate with the 4 holes in the
corners at 100mm spacing (just like a standard vesa mount on the back
of a tv). Do you think that 4 of those hollow wall anchors would be
strong
enough to hold the plate onto the wall ? It has a simple tilt
adjustment so once fixed up it would just be left in position and not
pulled about. Any advice would be welcomed or other ideas on how to fix it
?
Thanks

Most replies here are saying that it's OK to use this fixing or that fixing,
but I've a feeling they're missing the (major) point in that they are fixing
to a plasterboard stud wall, and yours are not stud walls.

Your walls are built with two sheets of PB stood upright with basically a
giant eggbox keeping them apart, and no timber or metal struts are used for
rigidity.
A stud wall has (usually timber, but more recently, box aluminium) struts
running up and down and also across - this gives the wall much more
strength, and using PB fixings here is usually OK because each fixing will
generally be no more than 6 inches away from one or more of these
strengthening studs, meaning the sheet of PB being fixed to is firmly fixed
to something else and it cannot (easily) come apart - I would not fix
anything to these walls heavier than half a pound, and a 25lb TV is totally
out of the question.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008