Posted to alt.home.repair

Default attic moisture

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:14:55 -0800 (PST), Maria
wrote:

I am the new homeowner of a 1927 Craftsman bungalow and am very
concerned after finding the unfinished attic is extremely moist to the
point that the wood is damp to the touch and has what is now
crystallized material on some. How long until major damage is
caused. I know I need to address some things like the lack of roof
vent ridges and the old drafty windows, but don't know if much can be
done until spring ( I live in Northern NY). Any ideas? I'm afraid I
have ice dams forming.

Whatever you can do to increase ventilation will help. Of course, if
there is a roof leak ventilation won't help much. Perhaps a small
oscillating fan on a timer or a 40w light bulb will work, but I
wouldn't wait until the spring rains to inspect for roof damage.
Ideally the humidity should be below 50%. Anytime wood gets wet,
rot, mold, possibly termites follow and weaken the structure. The
rate of decomposition varies with temperature, humidity, type of wood,
etc. Consider a ridge vent and more soffit vents.