Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Flood coolant on Clausing lathe

"Ignoramus10426" wrote in message
My Clausing has a flood coolant system. Which actually works, except
the switch for it does not work. I will fix it, but the pump is
working great. I have cleaned up the system somewhat and it is running
smoothly. For coolant, I used a water soluble oil from McMaster that I
diluted about 40:1. This oil is not so bad, as I kept a jar of it
diluted for about half a year, and it did not separate and did not
stink.

My question is, would occasional use of this coolant rust the lathe.

I'm using Hangsterfer's S-500 at about 20:1 aand have had no odor problems
in 2 years of very sporadic use. There is a light black coating on exposed
metal, but that cleans up easily with some steel wool and a little WD-40.
Tramp oil (from way oil?) is the biggest problem but a belt skimmer seems to
take care of that.

That said, I suspect that flood coolant is more beneficial on a mill than a
lathe, at least for the hobbyist.