Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default converting normal 'swivel' casters to ackerman steering, for*HEAVILY* loaded dollies pix posted

On Jan 10, 10:35*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message
On Jan 10, 6:20 pm, dave wrote:

so I want to convert some 'normal' swivel casters (have tons of 'em) to
'ackerman steer' casters. I need two stout acker-dollies: one to hold my
dialarc (with other stuff piled on top of it) and another dolly for my
500 lb table saw.

-----------------------------
anybody here ever tried this?
-----------------------------

Put bigger fixed casters in the middle and swivel casters on the end. Then
you can steer by just swiveling around the middle casters.

That works very well but I think it would be too wobbly and dangerous
for a table saw. My lighter table saw is on casters attached to hinged
plates that fold underneath so it rests solidly on the ground when I
use it.

This is how I modified my shop crane to roll outdoors:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/W...51034176921634

You shouldn't need to add the extra wheels if you stay on pavement. I
tow that thing through the woods to lift logs and boulders. The jack
is in close for strength and it has to be cranked up to swivel. You
could mount it further out for better clearance. That end of the saw
could rest on fixed feet.

I put a lot of effort into designing Ackermann steering for a
hydraulic scissors table. Ultimately it got a fixed axle that clips
under two hooks on one end and a trailer hitch coupler on the other,
to use with this home-made handle:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/W...63513288463986

There is a similar arrangement used industrially. The pallet has a
flat horizontal tongue with a hole, the wheeled handle a short lever
with an upright pin. Mine needs more lift because I use it outdoors so
the hinged hook raises the coupler off the ground, then I kick a wood
block under it and raise it the rest of the way with the ball.

Instead of welding on tabs, why not replace the axles and fit the
linkage forks onto them?

Jim Wilkins