Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default 3 phase converter monitoring setup

On Jan 11, 5:52*am, wrote:
On 11 Jan 2009 07:03:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-01-11, willray wrote:

Greetings all,

I'm working on balancing my rotary converter and need
a sanity check.

(Basic statistics for the record. *1125RPM 15HP idler.
*Feeds off a 125A breaker in the shop panel, through

* *[ ... ]

Just for gits and shiggles, rather than just tweaking
the balancing caps with an amp-clamp and DVM, I thought
I'd build a full-blown current and voltage monitoring
system for it.

For current monitoring, I've stuffed 3x 100:5 current
transformers into the 3P subpanel, and brought them out
to current-sensing resistors.

* *Good -- that gives you isolation.

For voltage monitoring I need voltage in the range -1V -- 1V
to match my scope inputs, so I need to build a voltage-divider.
This would be no big deal, except I just tossed myself a puzzler
when getting ready to solder the bits together.

One could build 3 bridges (say 2MOhm and 2KOhm roughly,
just to make the numbers reasonably neat), and bridge
L1-L2, L2-L3, and L3-L1, thereby being able to measure
the between-leg voltages. ?Alternatively one could bridge
L1-C, L2-C, L3-C (and possibly tie C to ground/N). *I've
doodled an ASCII version of this below. *Hopefully it survives
being posted. *L1, L2, and L3 are as traditional. *L1-a is 2MOhms,
a-d is 2KOhms. *The other legs are symmetric.

* L1 * * * * * * * * * L2
* *. * * * * * * * * * .
* * _ * * * * * * * * _
* * *| * * * * * * * |
* * * _ * * * * * * _
* * * *| * * * * * |
* * * * _ * * * * _
* * * * *. a * b .
* * * * *| * * * |
* * * * * _ * * _
* * * * * *| * |
* * * * * * _ _
* * * * * * *. d
* * * * * * *\
* * * * * * */
* * * * * * *\
* * * * * * *. c
* * * * * * *\
* * * * * * */
* * * * * * *\
* * * * * * */
* * * * * * *\
* * * * * * */
* * * * * * *.
* * * * * * *L3

This setup appears allows metering of both the between leg
voltages by metering across both middle .1% resistors on
a leg pair ( ie, a to b, b to c, c to a) and the
Leg-Neutral voltages if the d is tied to ground/N.

I hadn't originally thought of using the "Wye connected" meter
setup, but I can't currently think of a downside. ?I'm
wondering if anyone who does this stuff more regularly might
know some reason not to do this, that I haven't thought of.

* *Yes -- one very good reason -- have you tried measuring the
voltage from ground to the center point? *I'll bet that it is a nasty
range above ground, since you have no isolation between the incoming
power line and the rotary converter.

* *Get three identical filament transformers with input voltage
appropriate to the leg-to-leg voltage. *You can then tie one side of
each secondary to ground and safely measure voltages (taking into
account the ratio of the transformer, of course.

Hmm - while I'm at it, another question -- Is there any reason
that I can't tie together one leg of each current-sensing
resistor for the current monitor part, and use this as a
"common", for metering purposes?

* *Yes -- since the current transformers give you isolation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I'm suspicious that my
scope inputs don't have isolated grounds.

* *Most don't. *The probe ground is connected to the safety ground
pin on the power cord.

* *You want the isolation that the current transformers give you,
and similar isolation on the voltage side with the filament
transformers. *(Those used to be cheap enough and common enough so you
should be able to pick up three identical ones.

* *Good Luck,
* * * * * *DoN.

* *I see you're aiming for the luxury of both current and
*voltage measurement.

*When there is significant unbalance, the apparent 3 phase
balance of the current set and the voltage set can be very
different.

* * With both sets of figures available you may be tempted *to
aim for a rough average betweeen voltage and current balance.

* * * * Because motors are essentially current driven devices
this is not the way. Balanced current should be your aim even if
this results in larger voltage unbalance.

What do you think of displaying the current transformer output on the
scope to watch the phase angle? A vectorscope would be really nice but
I don't know how to show 3 phases on an X-Y display.

jw