Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Flood coolant on Clausing lathe

Iggy,
I have used soluable oil on several of my machines over the years and I have
found it to be a first class pain. I am a hobbiest. I do not run my machines
sometimes for weeks on end. Soluable oil does not like this. The water
evaporates, the tanks form slime, the residual oil left on the lathe itself
leaves a sticky scum over time that is difficult and hard work to remove. On
your question about rust, the answer is sometimes. It depends on what one
you use and the concentration. What I do now is keep a portable CoolMist
system that I can move from machine to machine when required and at the big
L & S keep the coolant tank filled with regular cutting oil for the heavy
steel jobs. This suits me much better than filling the coolant systems with
water based coolant.
For What it's Worth,
Steve

"Ignoramus10426" wrote in message
My Clausing has a flood coolant system. Which actually works, except
the switch for it does not work. I will fix it, but the pump is
working great. I have cleaned up the system somewhat and it is running
smoothly. For coolant, I used a water soluble oil from McMaster that I
diluted about 40:1. This oil is not so bad, as I kept a jar of it
diluted for about half a year, and it did not separate and did not
stink.

My question is, would occasional use of this coolant rust the lathe.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention