Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Rural broadband speeds

Mark wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:59:10 +0000, Peter Scott
wrote:

"Doing a speed test today set me thinking about what should be done. The
speed I get is just about acceptable for the uses to which I put the
Internet. I won't be able to use any of the new services, but I am
resigned to that. However what really annoys me is that I pay exactly
the same as people who get 4 Mbit/s or better.

Why not get a 512K or 1M product? Then you won't be paying the same
as people who get 4-8M.

funding subsidy

This is the best I can do speedily. I am sure there are better data but
this is all I could find right now. Take a look at page 8:

http://www.isitfair.co.uk/Reports/Pu...licFinance.pdf

Remember this only covers whole regions. Whereas the difference between
the largely rural eastern and wholly urban London is only about 30%, the
wholly rural areas within eastern will be even lower because of the
cities within those areas that will get extra funding. The picture only
changes when the numbers are fudged by including commuters as stated
under the table. You can also see why Scotland, NI and Wales can afford
to treat their people better!!!

Peter Scott