Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Why street lights on all night?

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

the high efficeny sodium and other lamps take a few minutes
to come to full briteness.

That doesn't matter.

by the time the sensor tripped light on vehicle would of passed.

That doesn't matter.

plus theres liability issues if lamps fail for some reason....

It STILL doesn't matter.

All that matters is that we FEEL GOOD just doing something - anything -
to address the "crisis" of "wasted" energy and the koff, hack global
warming it causes.

When all the efforts toward conservation have been made, although that
will never happen in the minds of too many, it still won't be enough to
some. To the environmentalist extremist, the only truly good world is
one where mankind no longer exists. Until that day, they won't be
happy. Of course, they'll be gone, too, so it's moot point.

A growing society will consume increasing amounts of energy. There is
NO WAY around that fact.

A society that no longer grows will collapse and be gone. There is no
way around THAT fact.

Take your pick.

I pick massive catastrophe, wiping out at least 99.99 % of mankind, and
100% of all technology developed in the last 150 years.

Then mankind, and society (whatever the hell that is) can start growing
and thriving again.

Make that at least the last 6,000 years, and 50,000 years
before we get to the 3R's level again.

There's actually a theory that as a biological family grows
in population, they give lower units a better opportunity to
infect and reduce that population. The magic is to hit that
point where the parasite and host can both still survive
without killing each other. This is Darwin tree stuff,
bacteria, viruses etc. Mother nature seems to have a way of
pruning as needed. This PBS program was saying even though
we have a base tendency to kill each other off, the bugs
will do a much better job than we could have ever done on
our own. There's hope, our residue will probably build an
all new Darwinian tree and we can do this all over again ;-)

Ironically, conservation of energy is the basic rule for all
the Darwin tree stuff, survival of the fittest is really
survival of the energy efficient. Energy efficiency might
mean our survival in many ways.

-- larry/dallas