BigWallop

Default Consumer unit wiring

"David Hearn" wrote in message
I'm trying to add some sockets to a bedroom upstairs, and I'm in the

process
of working out how best to break into the ring and extend it by a socket

or
two. (We have 1 double socket in each of the two larger bedrooms and a
single socket in the small bedroom! What a waste of a 32A MCB)

Anyway, something I've been wanting to figure out for a while is what's on
each circuit. A picture of my CU can be found at
http://www.swampie.org.uk/consumerunit.jpg

From left to right I have:

32A - Shower
32A - Downstairs ring. This also runs the extension/conservatory light
(plus probably 1 double socket), floodlight and garage (via FCU). I

believe
there may be a spur also (hence 3rd live wire) which is the wire running
diagonally up to the right at the edge of the picture - I think this goes

a single socket into the old larder (currently running freezer +

microwave).
32A - Upstairs ring
6A - Downstairs lights + landing light (two way switch)
16A - Upstairs lights
6A - unknown

What I'm after really is an idea of the size of wiring I need to use to
extend the ring (I'm planning on just breaking into it at an existing
socket, and then taking one wire to a new socket, and then joining the two
sockets together to rejoin the ring).

Also - any ideas what size wiring I've got based on that picture? The 2nd
32A MCB seems to have a thicker wire going into it - which would be the
spur. Unless of course, the spur is for the conservatory/extension which
then has a FCU running to the garage.

Also, any idea of the size of the wiring for the shower circuit? Its an
8.5kW shower and it would be interesting to know if they installed a large
enough wire to go to 9.5kW maybe in the future.

Thanks

The 32 amp is running a whole house ring by the look of the picture. The 16
amp is for a water heater or something. (?)

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com