Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Adding missing SATA connectors to motherboard

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:52:10 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Conor wrote:

In article 83981e4a-f306-432c-9e4b-d0ade341f4a2
@y1g2000pra.googlegroups.com, larry moe 'n curly says...

I have some motherboards designed for 4-6 SATA ports, but only 2 SATA
connectors were installed, and I'd like to add the missing connectors
plus any needed termination resistors.
Here's an example with an ECS GeForce 6100SM-M v. 1.0 motherboard:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/...b349938d_o.jpg

What are the values of the missing resistors? I thought that each
pair of SATA data lines needed one 100 ohm resistor between them, but
on this circuit board the resistors seem to be arranged differently.

You're assuming that the second SATA controller exists to utilize them.

Yes, and apparently the NVidia chipset does support additional SATA
devices. I don't know if the BIOS does, and it's possible that a
termination voltage source/sink isn't there fro the extra SATA
connectors.

There exist utilities (eg AMIBCP) that can enable hidden features in
your BIOS. It could be that your additional SATA ports are supported,
but they may have been turned off by default.

For example, count the "not active" features in this AMI BIOS:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/340S8/BIOSNOTV.RPT

- Franc Zabkar