Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to sand a panel without a drum sander.

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:10:26 -0800 (PST), jtpr
wrote:

I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

Does the sandpaper clog quickly? I can not understand how a RO with
60 grit is not giving results, but you do have a rather large area to
do. You can use a wide belt sander or even a floor sander--both of
these are very aggressive, much harder to control but will make short
work of the sanding task. Make sure you have total control with both
hands on the belt sander and be extra careful near the edges. Some
belt sanders have optional sanding frames which would be a good idea
for what you need to do. A pair of winding sticks can help too. Check
your work from time to time viewing at a low angle with a work light
also at a low angle. Mark, sand, re-mark, sand, high areas with
pencil. Still, you need some patience and be fussy to do a good job.