Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10426 Ignoramus10426 is offline

Default Flood coolant on Clausing lathe

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:17:23 -0600, Ignoramus10426
On 2009-01-11, CarlBoyd wrote:
Ignoramus10426 wrote:

My Clausing has a flood coolant system. Which actually works, except
the switch for it does not work. I will fix it, but the pump is
working great. I have cleaned up the system somewhat and it is running
smoothly. For coolant, I used a water soluble oil from McMaster that I
diluted about 40:1. This oil is not so bad, as I kept a jar of it
diluted for about half a year, and it did not separate and did not
stink.

My question is, would occasional use of this coolant rust the lathe.

Make sure it doesn't freeze in the system, you have the lathe in your
garage in Chicago right.

I added RV entifreeze to it, approximately 1/5th of the total quantity
of liquid. It should be enough, I think, given that I try to keep my
garage not too cold.

For cheap insurance you might want to find a way to heat the tank,
just in case. It will also heat the lathe a bit, so it isn't the
coldest lump of iron in the room making it a condensation magnet.

Something really crude like a 100W Rough Service incandescent lamp
in the base of the machine over the coolant sump should do it. It'll
warm the frame and the heat will rise through the works.

I must have a water heater for animal waterers lying around
somewhere. But with the RV antifreeze added, I do not believe that it
is necessary.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/