Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
xcaper[_2_] xcaper[_2_] is offline

Default lathe buying advice

Denis,
The craftx unit is completely different then the General I tried.
As an fyi - I owned the next version down craftx lathe (with manual speed
control). It was an excellent starter lathe and I used it for 2 years
non-stop. It eventually snapped the internal gearing used to adjust the belt
position, and in all honesty, it was probably used more than it was intended
to as a hobby lathe. No regrets here by having a busybee lathe as my first
one.
When the gearing went, it was, to me, time to move to something different,
rather than repair the busybee unit. (I needed the motor for buffing)
I then went to the lathe that Sears sells ( see Darrells site for some great
info), and when I had to replace the belts after a year, I decided the price
of the belts, and the associated annoying replacement procedure, was not
worth having to do again. The sears unit now sits idle under one of my
workbenches - I hold onto it as it came with the duplicator unit, and figure
some day I may need it! : )

"Denis M" wrote in message

I wonder if the origin of the General lathe you are talking about is not the
same as this one.
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128
I had plan to purchase it but after reading your comments I am having second
thought.