Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default Manufacturing Shrinks as Orders Hit 60-Year Low

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Upgrading the system turns into a fight over NIMBY or
front yard for that matter. Generally means taller poles and another
substation that no
one wants in their designer neighborhood. Up the road, the locals
fought
an expansion so
long that federals rules on reliablity changed so now the system they
didn't want has
become even bigger.

Do what San Diego did - put it all underground.

That is very expensive though.

Yeah but so is fixing above ground systems all the time.

Taxing gasoline to make batteries more viable seems at odds with how
Obama
wants to
stimulate the economy by tax credits.

Not really and the tax credits have nothing to do with gasoline.

Dollars are dollars. Add them here and take them back there and they
cancel out.

With the following exception. A properly sized tax discourages the behavior
being taxed.

Long term, most passenger vehicles are going to be a hybrid, I think
that
is a given. How
the vehicle is constructed may be a mix of lotsa engine with not so much
battery to not
much engine with a lot more battery. Everyone has different needs.

I have read a little about LiPo batteries and they sure sound good.
High
energy density
and if I read correctly, not as nasty to dispose of. Expensive though.
So
were computers
once.

The cost of a top of the line PC CAD workstation hasn't changed much over
the years Wes. What's changed enormously is the performance.

I don't doubt you on that but the typical PC has dropped significantly in
price. Cutting
edge always demands a premium.

It's a competetiveness issue Wes.

Btw, saw you mentioned you were thinking of moving. Where to?

I'd like to have three or four thousand square feet of shop space intstead
of the 800 I have now.

JC