Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom switch - via relay?

In article ,
Pete Verdon d wrote:
My question is how to handle the wiring of this switch. I currently have
a nice brushed-steel button that would look the part. It happens to be
rated to 250v/5a, but AFAIK is not IP-rated. I also have a relay that
will switch a mains supply from a 6-12v signal current. One approach
would be to have the relay in a suitable enclosure in the roof space
above the bathroom, with the button controlling the low-voltage side
from below. This keeps mains out of the bathroom, but is it acceptable
from a regs point of view? I'm confident that I can built it safely, but
these aren't quite the same thing :-)

Provided you use a suitable mains transformer to supply the low volts,
then yes. I have a similar idea to add in the shaving/makeup lights round
the mirror which aren't always needed. And I dislike pull cord switches.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.