Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Denis M Denis M is offline

Default lathe buying advice

"xcaper" wrote in message ...
I had no luck with the speed control.... see here for a brief on what
happened, and why I decided against General:
http://www.backspacecomputer.com/blog/?p=59

"KC" wrote in message news:YDO8l.2017$Db2.1887@edtnps83...
agree with you Larry...i guess i got lucky with the speed control...have
had

Those are my reasons. YMMV. I still consider myself a novice at
turning, so nobody should take my comments as gospel.

PS: A friend has the large General lathe and he loves it. It has not had
any problems with speed control.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

I wonder if the origin of the General lathe you are talking about is not the same as this one.
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128
I had plan to purchase it but after reading your comments I am having second thought.