Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP* ATP* is offline

Default AOT (Almost On Topic): Electrical Wiring.

"Vernon" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 5:50 pm, David Lesher wrote:
Vernon writes:
Upon removing the old sheet rock from around the old service entrance I
discovered black charring of the insulation face paper by each one of
the romex wires that terminated at the old box. In other words, the
house was just a kiss away from "up in smoke".

Was the Romex charred? Usually it shows heat damage first. Common
cause is poor connections in the box.

In each room, a cluster of outlets drops down from a 100 amp branch
panel that will hold four 220 amp circuits. These boxes do not have

Is that four twenty-amp circuits, or four "220" [usually labeled "240"]
*volt* circuits...?

mains. Rather, they are each fed from 100 amp branch breakers in the
main 200 amp panel.
"This box is to be used only for branch circuits fed by a box with not
more than 100 amp mains. If fed from a branch breaker this should be
limited to 70 amps."

I'll have to punt by agreeing with the other reply.

Do note that {unless something has changed...} you Shall keep neutral
and ground seperate at all subpanels; they are bonded only at one
point; the main disconnect.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Now that I think about it I have another question. My scheme calls
for two identical 200 amp feed through boxes mounted back to back on
opposite sides of an external wall. Each of these boxes will hold
four 240v breakers. The box on the outside is connected to the
service drop. The second box is not yet installed. But once I
install it, I will feed the 200 amps out the bottom, through the wall
through double barrel nipples into the bottom lugs of the second box.
The interior box will contain four 100 amp breakers. Each of these
four branch breakers will feed a 100 amp box (with mains. Not the
boxes I'm talking about above), one in each room of the house (soon to
be drive-thru greasy spoon hamburger joint. Thus, each room will be
wired to its own 100 amp mains box.

As stated above, the 200 amps will pass through the top of the second
200 amp box and out again through the very same wall where it will
connect to a Syncrowave 300 welder which has its own 200 amp breaker
box. I will use doubled 3/0 wire throughout the double pass throughs
between these boxes and the welder.

Does anything seem not kosher with this arrangement? Thanks yet
again. Vernon

I think you should do a load worksheet and consult with an electrician
and/or an electrical engineer. If you have natural gas available consider
using that for the appliances.