Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default It's official, coupons ran out: was The year we lose ourTV signals

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Jan 8, 3:23 pm, "Not@home" wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news As far as the "coupon expiring" snivellers, if you can't afford a $50
gadget without the gummint helping you, you're a pathetic loser.
Many older people are on fixed incomes that barely meet their present
needs,some have to decide between food and necessary meds.
TV may be their only entertainment,too.
I'm SURE they are not "snivellers" nor "pathetic losers".
OTOH,you sure sound like a fine piece of work.

The fact is that the elderly are the demographic group in the US that
has, on average, the highest level of income in excess of their basic needs.

You probably can't name any older people who are on fixed incomes. But
if you really know anyone in that situation, why don't you give them the
$50?

I can name one whose income depends partly on the fluctuations of the
stock market,
and partly on the prevailing interest rates. How do you think she's
doing these days?
Her situation will be more common in the future with the demise of
defined-benefit
pensions.

Luckily, she is frugal and actually does have enough to meet her
needs. But she
in fact is living on less than $12,000 per year.

Partly, partly, partly. That sounds like a weasel word one would use to
misrepresent her true income, as it implies that there are other sources
of income you want to conceal.

Once you are old, and depending on where and how you live, $12,000 a
year could be enough that you could bank some of it. I'm old, and have
lived and paid long enough that my home is paid off, but the government
keeps giving me cost of living increases based, in part, on increases in
the national average of the cost of housing. My cost of housing is very
little since I said farewell to the mortgage, and in fact decreased when
they gave me a homestead exemption on property tax, just because of age.
I canceled my health insurance, since medicare gives me the same thing
for less money. So the hard fact is that I am better off financially
than I was before I retired, and mine is not an uncommon situation.

I won't deny that there are some old people in dire straits, but that
doesn't mean that all of us are destitute. I have to close now, I'm
taking a bus (using my senior discount) to the movie to use my senior
discount; I may stop at a restaurant along the way and use my senior
discount for a meal. Life is sweet when you and the politicians keep
yelling that seniors need help, and then give it to all of us. Thanks.
Too bad the cupboard will be bare by the time you are a senior
citizen, not to mention your children.