Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
N8N N8N is offline

Default Rate your DTV converter

On Jan 9, 9:25*am, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article ,
(Jimw) says...

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:00:41 -0800, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

In article ,
(Jimw) says...

So, in reality, I could saw off the LARGE end of my VHF-UHF antenna
and just use the end with the small beams..... Right?
(Not that I intend to do this, just asking).

Only about half of the VHF band is being repurposed. *Some stations will
continue to transmit a VHF digital signal.

Well, this brings up a question I have had for awhile. *WILL FM RADIO
BE ELIMINATED NEXT? *The reason is that FM radio is in the VHF band,
right below (or is it above) TV Channel 6. *I know this for fact,
because when I was a kid, I lived in a city that had channel 6 tv.
The sound from channel 6 tv could be listened to on the very bottom
most position on the fm radio dial. (which is about 88 mhz). *I
remember a few times I'd have to go somewhere and would listen to
whatever tv program I was watching on a portable or car radio. *
So, since the govt. wants the VHF band to sell to the cellphone
companies, will they next get rid of FM radio?

They have been broadcasting digital radio for quite some time, on both
the FM and AM band. *Google HD Radio for details. *Not many HD receivers
are available yet. *Before Christmas I tried to buy a Bose Wave system
with HD radio, and they don't make one. *

They seem to be more popular for cars for some reason. I bought a new
head unit for my old pickup truck last year and decided to get one
with HD because it didn't cost much more than the regular ones and I
was curious. (the real reason I bought one was because I wanted
something other than "just a radio" so I got one with a CD player and
auxiliary jack. The HD was just a nice little bonus.) I still pretty
much only listen to NPR, but now I have three different channels to
listen to The sound quality is very nice, too. Since analog radio
isn't going away, the issues with digital reception are not as much of
a problem with radio - when the digital signal drops out, the radio
just drops back to analog and the only way you can tell is that the
sound quality gets worse. Unless you're listening to one of the sub-
channels, of course.

nate

nate