Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Default FCC Coverage Maps - was Rate your DTV converter

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:53:46 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:57:36 +0000, Jack Hunt wrote:

Would you believe, I still have a pulse-tone phone line. g When I
moved here, the telco was charging 3X what my previous telco had, which
I thought was a rip. Even small expenses like that can really add up
over time.

Have you tried switching your phone to tone to see if it will dial ?
Years ago my phone company was charging extra for a tone phone line.
After a few years I found out it did not make any differance what you used
in your house. Either kind would work.
Switched all of my phones to tone. Several years later the phone company
quit the surcharge for the tones (or they may just have raided the rates,
I forgot what).

Unfortunately, they're as stubborn as I am. About a month ago, I was
hooking up a dialup modem and the software was set to dial tone by default
.... didn't work until I changed settings to ATDP. .

Maybe 10 years ago they attempted to get the last of us hold-outs by
offering a free telephone answering service - which they claimed required
a touch-tone line. I don't know if it was a case of them not knowing that
phones then came with a button to switch to touch tone for negotiating
automated answering systems ... or if they thought we customers didn't
know.