Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Sign of the times

Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"J. Clarke" writes:
Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"J. Clarke" writes:
Morris Dovey wrote:

My public schools (1967-1980) sound a lot like Morris'.

Where was this?

Let's see:
San Leandro, California
Coronado, California
Lemoore, California
Newport, Rhode Island
Springfield, Virginia
Elementary in all, Jr High and High School in the last.

Based on slightly removed observations, the selections are still
similar here in Beavercreek, Ohio (Dayton area). Recent (2-3 years)
feedback from Sterling, Virginia says the same.

Of course, I started school in the heat of the space race when
building the US school system to beat the Russians was a priority.
If I were a decade older, thinks might not have been funded so well.
(In TV terms, I'm the Brady Bunch generation. I get mixed stories
from the Father Knows Best era.)

BTW, my first computer programming was in a US public school. I'm
still finding that useful, as today's paycheck reminds me.

One presumes that that has changed since I was in school--at the
time
"computer" was something that cost millions of dollars and would
have
filled the gym handily.

I'm thinking that you got taught a thing or three that worked into
whatever your career was, but I don't expect you to agree.

Not really. Most of what I learned from 6-18 that was engineering
related I learned on my own, which got me in trouble because on tests
I would put down the right answer instead of the regurgitate the
lecture answer.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)