Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Dimpling, scratching, and otherwise defacing metal

What's that Lassie? You say that SteveB fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:34:07 -0700:

I want to make some hinges and stuff that look old, but are not. Could I
take chisels and the round end of a ball peen hammer, and other striking
devices and make marks on the metal cold, or should I heat and soften it
first?

you should be able to dent it with a hammer when cold.

for a dark brown finish, coat in linseed oil and bake at 400F for
40min.

--

Dan H.