Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Iron Harvesting.....

"Ignoramus17663" wrote in message
news
On 2009-01-09, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus17663" wrote in message
A long time ago, near Moscow, I was working on a fall potato harvest
with my class, and one girl found an unexploded mortar shell from
WWII, I would say 3-4 lb weight.

I doubt the following statement from Wikipedia:

It has been estimated that, for every square metre of territory on the
front from the coast to the Swiss border, a tonne of explosives
fell. One shell in every four[2] (some sources say one in every
three[3]) did not detonate. The Canadian National Vimy Memorial Site
is notable for supposedly having one unexploded munition for every
square metre.

Sounds a little excessive.

I punched the numbers and, if Switzerland were included, it's 9 trillion
tons of explosives. I think somebody sneezed when they were placing the
decimal point. g

I think that they wanted to say kilometre.

I think so, too. So, divide by 1 million.

--
Ed Huntress