Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Default FCC Coverage Maps - was Rate your DTV converter

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 08:44:41 -0800, SMS wrote:

Ann wrote:
These maps show the both the individual stations' analog coverage areas
and new DTV coverage areas. For example three fringe VHS stations I now
receive have cut their coverage areas (and changed the pattern) - which
explains why I don't/won't receive their UHF digital signal.

Interesting that in many cases the analog and digital outlined areas are
pretty much equal but that there are still a lot of areas that will lose
coverage. I.e. in my area, KRON 4 is going to lose (almost completely)
four large counties (Marin, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Sonoma) and pick up
Solano county, even though their transmitter isn't moving, and even though
the outline of coverages are about the same.

According to the map, I shouldn't have been receiving the three stations
in the first place. But I live in a hilly area with an opening in that
direction ... and nothing higher between here and the transmitters. That
benefited me when they were broadcasting VHF, but they are switching to
UHF, which doesn't deal well with hills.

I've read about some stations that have taken advantage of the switch to
refine their coverage areas to reach more of their advertisers' target
audience. While I would prefer not to be losing the stations, it made no
economic sense to waste watts advertising to people 75 miles away.