Posted to alt.home.repair
RonABC RonABC is offline

Default Post-form formica countertops with no backsplash?

Joe wrote:

People used to laminate their own back some years ago. See if you
can't find some laminate stock, contact cement, and build a nice
smooth plywood counter top to put it on. You might get some unusual
design possibilities with that technique. HTH

Thanks. I don't want to to try to make my own, although I have seen that
they do sell the laminate sheets at the big box stores. I would definitely
want the front edge to be a rounded bullnose edge, and I'm sure I wouldn't
be able to do that.

I may have to check to see if the big box stores sell low-cost custom order
post-formed countertops with a bullnose but no backsplash. I was just
hoping that there was a supplier somewhere that had these in stock that I
could just cut to length and install.

My other option will be to buy what they have (with the backsplash) and just
run it from each end up to the chimney cutout that is in the corner. Then
the pre-formed backsplash will be on the back of each countertop, but there
won't be a backsplash where the countertop meets the two sides of the
chimney. Maybe I can then just put up some kind of tile on the walls under
the cabinets -- which will go above the countertop backsplash on the back
walls but all the way down to the countertop flat surface where the chimney
meets the countertop.