Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rural broadband speeds

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:55:24 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

With people offering deals at £15 or less, its not worth raising capital
for.

That depends on the distrubution of the population in relation to the
telephone exchange. If there are a lot of people more than say 3 miles
from the exchange and/or the local copper(ali...) is crap then ADSL is
going to be slow and at the mercy of BT Openreach fixing it (residential
line, two, three, 5 days?).

Wifi only covers the last couple of hundred yards at best anyway.

Spherical objects. We have many AP to end user hops well over a mile. You
do need line of sight though, which for places with trees can be a
problem. Few trees up here...

- you still have top lay fibre or tight beam microwave TO it.

Not impossible.

And it congests fast.

Agreed, our WiFi based network was fine when it was installed but now down
in the town with the plorification of home WiFi LANs the air space is
*very* crowded. We offer a cheap "set up your wireless LAN" service to try
an mitigate some of the problems by shifting private LANs to different
channels to reduce mutal interference problems.

Network congestion hasn't been to much of an issue until recently and then
only on some links, users are bandwidth limited though.

You can get anything of BT/ISP's if you pay for it. 2Mbps to your house
rock solid 1:1 contention ration and zero throttling..for a mere 12k a
year or so.

Which will probably be provided on fibre so why mess about with 2Mbps go
for the 1Gbps. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.