Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger doesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:09:28 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

The pols are already making noises about forcing older vehicles
off the road through [much] higher taxes and stricter
inspections. This was tried before in several states with an
ecological rationale that older vehicles are dirtier.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

there are two kinds of "older" cars - old junk cars that are in fact
dirty and polluting, and collector cars which are rarely driven - just
taxing older cars drives the collector cars off the road too - and those
of us who like old cars are made unhappy - for example (see my web site
under hobbies/cars) I have a 59 cadillac that I haven't driven at all
this last year, though it is fully restored and with a battery charge
ready to go - so I ask you, how much pollution does that car create?
(nearly zero) - but if they raise the tax on it to a level that I find
prohibitive, all I have to do is not pay the license fee and they just
lose the revenue that would have accrued because there is nothing that
says anyone can't have an unlicensed car in a garage or driveway, you
just can't operate it on a public roadway.

what does help is enforcing insurance laws - true collector cars are
inexpensive to insure because they are rarely driven

In California you have to have either a certificate of non operation or
the vehicle licensed. They can enter you property and take it if
neither. I would have had a problem with my corvette racecar. Was
trailered and not run on the street. Except to load / unload the
trailer.

from my understanding and direct communication with the DMV, that is just
plain false, there is both title and license, and you can have one without
the other - you only need license to operate on a public roadway (or park
or exist on a public roadway) but a car in a museum, or impaled in your
wall as a piece of art, as one Lotus owner did in disgust, no, you do not
need a certificate of non operation.

but it is sufficiently far off topic and totally irrelevant so let's not
argue about it -

I have read where the used the law to remove extra vehicle from private
property. I think one of the places was San Jose.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22658.htm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...0021&showall=1

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate