Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] sun_9292@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Flat conversion - water supply pipes

On Jan 9, 1:06*pm, pcb1962 wrote:
On 9 Jan, 12:49, wrote:

Hi, i'm converting a house into 2 X 2 bed flats and am trying to make
my mind up if to add another water supply pipe
for the second flat or use the exisitng supply pipe and split it
internally. The current property is not metered and if I split it
internally it would save over £2600 as I wouldn't have to pay three
valleys water to lay a new supply pipe.
Are there any drawbacks from not laying a new supply pipe? If I were
to split the existing supply pipe internally could I lay a new pipe at
a later date without major upheaval of the properties internal
plumbing? thanks for any feedback

Possibly depends on whether you're going to sell the 2 flats, or keep
them yourself and rent them out. If you're going to sell them I
understand that some water companies will insist on installing a meter
for the new owner, in which case all the internal plumbing would need
to be separate.

If I go with the current single pipe I would need to split it inorder
to service 2 seperate dwellings, I'm planning on seperating the
internal plumbing (gas and electrics, 2 boilers). but its the water
flow into the property i'm not sure about. And in the event I needed
seperate supply pipes (like you say, inorder to sell) would that have
major ramifications on the already existing internal plumbing?