Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default Rural broadband speeds

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:57:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:

In the meantime, here's a practical alternative:
http://www.avcbroadband.com/

Hm. Prices have certinaly come down a lot for satellite internet. The
endty level @£69 is OK for email and some lightweight web browsing
if you're patient. Web sites seem to have gone overboard a bit again,
however I was at the end of a 512Kb ADSL line ysterday for a bit, and yes,
it really felt slow, but it was more than usable with a bit of patience.

Prices may have dropped, but have you seen the (frankly unusable) data
limits? 1GB before they start to drop your speed from 512Kbit/sec.
If you're unhappy with a 750kbit/sec landline speed, then I can't see
that a 1Gbyte limit will last long. You certainly couldn't run a web-
based business with such a poor and expensive service agreement.