Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rural broadband speeds

Huge wrote:
On 2009-01-08, wrote:

Another thing that can be done is to have the local server cache as
much as possible with a big disc, then revisits to pages load real
fast, plus all the reused elements of new pages on the same site.

I already do this; I run a squid proxy.

Perhaps slow rural speeds is a blessing
in that it will encourage many businesses to create less bloated
sites.

Won't happen. Web sites are designed by gel-haired, oddly bespectacled weirdoes
dressed all in black with perfect eyesight and huge monitors connected to their
servers with gigabit ethernet. That's why so many of them are crap. Someone
pointed me at a "5 a day" video this morning on an HMG website; it's 176Mb. Like
I'm going to wait 30 or 40 minutes for *that* to download.

I resent that. Apart from the bespectacled weirdo bit.

My eyesight is crap and I never wear black, and never use gel.