Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Mains Pressure

Tim S wrote:
Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Rod" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Fit in a full-bore mains stop-tap. Then near the kitchen sink tap fit a
small shock arrestor which cost around £10. Sorted.

Will that cure the cisterns?

(Cheapest I could find was nearly £13.)

£3 is going to kill you? The jumper on the stoptap look like it is
locking. A full-bore tap will take shocks back into the mains, the jumper
may be acts
as a check valve. But to be sure a shock arrestor near the most used and
offending tap - the kitchen. It should sort it. A 15mm x 1/2" fbsp x
15mm tee in the pipe under the sink, near the kitchen tap

A full-bore tap may mean you can suffer pressure reductions as it improves
"flow". If they reduce the mains pressure you flow suffers. Remove
restrictions (a stoptap) and you flow improves at a reduced pressure.

Just an NB: I don't think the "upside down copper bulb" cheap shock
arrestors are suitable for potable water. There are fancy ones with
diaphragms which are, but these cost more.

Certainly worth checking.

Cheers

Tim

Drivel,

I put the price in parentheses as a matter of information but not
desperately important. Some were very considerably more expensive.

I asked the question because we are now getting bangs from the sink, the
washing machine, the WC cistern and the cold water tank. So I was
questioning whether putting the arrestor by the sink would be effective
for the others. The thought crossed my mind that the best location might
actually be near the incoming main stopcock.

If I were to fit a full-bore valve (instead of the main stopcock), would
I need to add a check valve? (AIUI, some form of check valve is
mandatory. Or, as they say in Edinburgh, a meringue.)

[And will someone somewhere please decide whether it is 'arrestor' or
'arrester'. Is this another one the trade tends to spell one way and the
rest of the world the other?]

Tim,

The ones I have seen specify 'potable' - anything that didn't, I have
ignored. But worth pointing out.

--
Rod

onset.