Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default Rural broadband speeds

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:57:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

Hm. Prices have certinaly come down a lot for satellite internet. The
endty level @£69 is OK for email and some lightweight web browsing

Does that use the satellite for the uplink or do you still need a phone
line for that? The satellite only providing the down link?

According to the website, it's 2-way.

The faster ones might be very suitable for a small community who were
willing to share the costs though...

It's certainly an option for the backhaul but you really need one with the
uplink on the satellite as well. Satellite doesn't do a lot for latentcy,
any gamers would throw a hissy fit. B-) I guess for ordinary browsing
you'd get use to the second or so delay from click to anything happening.

Yup. Gamers would not be happy, but for people doing businessey type
stuff - ie. no games/p2p, big streaming stuff, it looks OK. They even say
that VoIP works OK over it. There will be latency, but that's managable,
even in VoIP.

I used an aramiska link some time back for interactive stuff (ssh)
and it was mangable. The latency wan't really noticable for general web
browsing or email.

Gordon