Frisket

Default Consumer unit wiring

"David Hearn" wrote in message

snip

What I'm after really is an idea of the size of wiring I need to use to
extend the ring (I'm planning on just breaking into it at an existing
socket, and then taking one wire to a new socket, and then joining the

two
sockets together to rejoin the ring).

2.5mm twin & earth

When putting the wires under the floorboards are there any preferences

with
repect to how I should route it? Currently all the wiring appears to go
into channels cut into the joists between the nails! I can now see how

some
people can put nails through such wiring. Anyway, to avoid me having to
take up more floorboards than I may need to, what is the opinion of

drilling
a hole through a joist and running a wire through that? I realise that

this
will stop me from being able to move the wires around once all the boards
are up (whereas in channels they can just be layed down - possibly done

that
way for ease of installation) - but realistically, when's that going to
happen?

Thanks.

Chopping the top out of joists was a hideous practise that, rightly, is
frowned on - drilling a hole is the accepted way to do it.
The picture of your CU worries me tho' - the cable to all the fuses, apart
from the shower, all look the same size... Are they? or is it just my boggly
old eyes?
HTH, Richard