Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sheetrock a ceiling with uneven joists

On Jan 7, 9:13*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:49*pm, "RonABC" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

It is standard practice, steel studs are straighter and lighter than
wood studs or strapping, and installing them is about 100X faster than
trying to shim out the existing joists. I believe I've seen the
technique written up in Fine Homebuilding and many other places.

Well, that sure is interesting! *Thanks.

I did a Google search and found the Fine Homebuilding article:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00121.asp

I'm surprised that it would work, but if Taunton says it will who am I
to disagree. *But even in the pictures the portion of the steel studs
hanging below the joist look flimsy.

Even with Tauntons endorsement, I still like N8N's idea of running
shimmed hat channel perpendicular to the joists better.http://www.steelnetwork.com/PrimeWall.aspx?Link_id=6

"But even in the pictures the portion of the steel studs hanging
below the joist look flimsy"

If you hung off a heavy weight off of one part of one steel stud, it
would probably bend at that point.

Now hang a sheet of drywall across multiple studs, screwed in with the
proper spacing for the drywall you are using. There's no way for the
flanges to bend. In order for them to bend down, the drywall would
have to move laterally across the room. I don't think that's
physically possible once the drywall is attached.