Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Don Bruder Don Bruder is offline

Default Rate your DTV converter

In article ,
Robert Neville wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:

Sorry, Rob, but that's *TOTALLY* incorrect. One of the primary purposes
of the switch is to open up the VHF bands for other uses. *ALL* digital
transmissions are on UHF now (on channels 14 through 51, between 470 and
698MHz, to be exact) and will remain there after the switch.

Sorry Don. I'm afraid you are very confused. The frequencies associated UHF
Channels 52 to 69 are being auctioned off - not the VHF frequencies. Stations
have the option of moving their digital channels back to VHF after the
transition if they want, or they can stay on their temporariy UHF channel if
it
is below 52. Since low VHF has better propagation than VHF and is cheaper to
run
a transmitter on, those stations current on 2-7 for analog will likely stay
there for digital.

Notice that it's *52-69* being auctioned? Notice that 14-51 are where
DTV broadcasting is happening?

But don't take my word for it - Do your own research, same as I did, and
find out that everything I've said is dead-on accurate, regardless of
what some self-proclaimed "HDTV expert" blog has to say about it. Also
note that "HDTV" has exactly *NOTHING* to do with "DTV" beyond the fact
that they share some letters.

HDTV CAN (although there is no REQUIREMENT for it) be delivered over a
DTV channel. HDTV is shorthand that is properly expanded to "High
Definition TV", a superset of "regular definition" TV, and it can be
(and originally was) transmitted on analog channels with zero changes to
the signal.

DTV is shorthand that is properly expanded to "Digital TV", and is just
that: Television transmitted digitally, with absolutely no consideration
whatsoever given to whether the picture being transmitted is high-,
low-, or anything-in-between-, definition. Unlike HDTV, it isn't
possible to deliver "DTV" over an analog signal path without converting
it to an analog signal.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info