Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Amps and Heads ...

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:41:09 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

A few weeks ago, I was looking for a schematic for a PA amp, and called it a
"head" on here. I got told that it wasn't a head, because it had a preamp in
it, and a head has only line level inputs.

Today, I was looking on the site where I get all my Marshall info -

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#M2000

- for schematics for a 2195, which is a guitar amplifier with a preamp in
it. Interestingly, that site calls this amplifier - and indeed anything that
is not a "combo" - a head ...

So now I won't feel so wrong continuing to call these amps heads, as the
muso who owns the shop where I get most of this work from does too, and has
for as many long years as I have known him.

Arfa

Been working on amp "heads" for 30 years. I've never nor have any of
my associates been picky enough to discriminate them as you've
described.

I reckon someone got confuzzled betwixt 'head' and 'slave'

Ron