Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] guillemd@gis.net is offline

Default Best way to sand a panel without a drum sander.

On Jan 8, 10:10*am, jtpr wrote:
I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. *It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. *Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. *As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get *one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. *I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. *Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? *If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

Maybe you could borrow or rent a floor sander -- (Assuming that you
could detach the top and do the sanding on the floor.)