Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Best way to sand a panel without a drum sander.

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:58:02 -0800 (PST), jtpr
wrote:

On Jan 8, 11:28*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:10*am, jtpr wrote:

I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. *It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. *Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. *As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get *one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. *I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. *Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? *If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

One thing that works for me, is when I make a lattice/grid of diagonal
pencil lines all over the face of the board. About 1" apart.
Then I take a full sheet of 100 grit and stick it to a slab of MDF of
the same size. I then block-sand till I see the pencil marks disappear
at the high spots. Now that I know where the high spots are, I
beltsand ever so carefully expand the high spots to blend into the
valleys. The pencil marks also will let you know of you digging the
heel or the toe disproportionally into the top.
You can replace the pencil marks as you please to give you a good
visual of what you're doing.
Don't push onto the beltsander, there usually is no need for that....
and keep it moving. Do not loiter.
Repeat when required, wipe hands on pants.

Thank you. Do you sand with the grain, across the grain, diagonally,
or circular motion?

-Jim

Jim,

Further down the thread, Nailshooter has a link to a good how to
thread. I personally never sand directly across the grain, but about
a 30 degree max angle with the grain initially. Once the surface is
relatively flat, only sand with the grain with progressively finer
belts.

I will say that using a belt sander in this manner can be a little
tricky. You have to take care that the sander stays flat on the
surface. Any tipping of the sander to the side can set you back to
square one (or beyond). Be careful not to apply too much pressure -
light to moderate pressure only and let the sander do the work.

Finally, unless you plan to do more woodworking that requires a belt
sander, you might be better off looking for a shop that will run it
through a sander for you.

Bill