Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Best way to sand a panel without a drum sander.

wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:10 am, jtpr wrote:

I made a bar/counter top out of birds-eye maple and paduk. It
involves 4 pieces of the maple and 2 strips of the paduk, all edge
glued together. Anyway, it is ~ 25" x 74" and now I would like to
sand it smooth. As I don't have a drum sander, and won’t get one
past the finance committee, I am wondering what the most efficient way
would be. I do have a RO sander, but even with 60 grit on it, it is
taking a long time to get anywhere. Would a belt sander be a better
way to go? If so, what would be the best technique to use as I have
not worked with one before?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Have you thought about taking it to a shop that can sand it for a fee?
I did that once when I had a few large cherry panels to sand.

Ted

As Ted has said finding a shop with a wide belt sander willing to do the
job for a nominal fee would be the easiest method. If you want to try
the belt sander the following article should get you started:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip021101wb.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA