Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Removing galled alumunm

Heavy emphasis on 'carefully'?? I'm looking for the magic bullet!!

Actually, I was really pleased that the engine looks rebuildable.

Wes wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

I ran my trusty Kohler 301 12 hp a bit low on oil, trashed the con rod.
(My bad)It looks like the crank is ok but it has a decent buildup of
galled aluminum on the one side. I could scrape it off but that would
risk scratching the journal. Any bright ideas how to get the aluminum
off without touching the journal? Maybe a few drops of a strong
alkaline like lye???

The last time I did this repair, I used my Swiss army knife carefully.

Wes