Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Gentry Bob Gentry is offline

Default H3 collets

On 8 Jan 2009 05:09:29 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-01-07, Paul G. Shultz wrote:
I have an opportunity to acquire a full set of H 3 collets for a very
reasonable price. Will these fit either an Enco 13 X 30 or and 11" Logan
lathe? Can a closer be acquired or built to adapt these collets to either
of these two lathes?

Hmm ... I don't see an "H 3" collet listed in the 25th edition of
_Machinery's Handbook_. I *do* see a "3H" listed. A little smaller
than a 5C, with a 7/8" maximum size round stock, instead of 1" through
or 1-1/8" short grip for the 5C.

Bearing diameter is 1-1/8", so the question is whether you can
pass a drawtube of that diameter or a little bigger through the spindle.
If you can go to 1-3/8" through the spindle, go for 5C collets instead.
It'll be cheaper when you need square or hex collets for a particular
project later.

However -- if it is truly an "H 3", I would be interested in
hearing more about its dimensions. Without those, no bets. I would
guess that the 13x30 would handle 5C collets, and maybe even the 11"
Logan (depends on which one I think, and Scott Logan could tell you
that.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Hello Don. My Logan #922, 11inch Q.C., takes 5C collets very nicely.
Sure are a handy chucking method.
Regards, Bob
rgentry at oz dot net