Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger doesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

The pols are already making noises about forcing older vehicles
off the road through [much] higher taxes and stricter
inspections. This was tried before in several states with an
ecological rationale that older vehicles are dirtier.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

there are two kinds of "older" cars - old junk cars that are in fact dirty
and polluting, and collector cars which are rarely driven - just taxing
older cars drives the collector cars off the road too - and those of us
who like old cars are made unhappy - for example (see my web site under
hobbies/cars) I have a 59 cadillac that I haven't driven at all this last
year, though it is fully restored and with a battery charge ready to go -
so I ask you, how much pollution does that car create? (nearly zero) -
but if they raise the tax on it to a level that I find prohibitive, all I
have to do is not pay the license fee and they just lose the revenue that
would have accrued because there is nothing that says anyone can't have an
unlicensed car in a garage or driveway, you just can't operate it on a
public roadway.

what does help is enforcing insurance laws - true collector cars are
inexpensive to insure because they are rarely driven

In California you have to have either a certificate of non operation or the
vehicle licensed. They can enter you property and take it if neither. I
would have had a problem with my corvette racecar. Was trailered and not
run on the street. Except to load / unload the trailer.