Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:20:06 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
Meanwhile back in the real world, just to further the decline
of my old home of Twickenham, LBRuT has this bright notion of
charging owners of higher-CO2 cars more to park.

Well I hope that the residents tell *their* council to FOAD,
like Manchester recently did over the proposed "congestion
charge" for that city.

OK when the council prices residents parking permits by CO2 -
which LBRuT instituted (and which left me, with a Honda Jazz,
better off), but when it comes to casual parking, those affected
may well live elsewhere and its not their council. Sure they can
'vote' by taking their custom elsewhere, but since councils don't
receive business rates, just a share of the national pool, they
have no direct financial interest in the health of their town
centres.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com