Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default sds chiselling out sockets

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I used to use angle grinders and wall chasers to make holes for
electrical sockets but read here about using an sds drill as a chisel.
I have found that as far as production of dust is concerned, chiseling
is the way to go. However, how do you limit the depth? I found the
drill got carried away with itself and would have quite happily
punched through the wall rather than stop after 35mm! Is there a trick
to this?

Thanks,
Stephen.

PS I can't really justify buying the special £50 attachment for
once-in-a-blue-moon socket fixing.

Use some insulating tape to indicate the appropriate depth on the
chisel. Draw a line round your box, and then trace round it with your
chisel bit cutting to the depth set by the tape. Once the perimeter is
cut, I usually switch to a wider chisel (say 40mm rather than the 20mm I
use for the edges), and chop out the remainder using the cut edges as a
depth guide. A SDS with a decent speed control is handy for the more
delicate chiselling jobs.

--
Cheers,

John.