Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slacken compression fitting to bleed air ... BANG!

RobertL wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:04 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
RobertL wrote:

I now realise of course that once the fitting was slackened it did
not take much force to slide the olive off the end of the pipe.

A properly fitted compression fitting doesn't allow the olive to
'slide off'

Are you sure? Here's a tool designed to slide off olives:

http://www.monument-tools.com/innovation.htm

How much force does this gadget use to slide off the olive? At a
guess its something like 5 Newtons (force from thumb) x 20 (guess at
ratio of distance moved by thumb/distance moved by pusher on olive). =
100 Newtons.

Errm no. I have one and it takes a sh*t load of force to remove most
olives. Usually a boc spanner on the tommy bar to get enough leverage.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk